Sunday 27 November 2011

Kylie Fever: A Retrospective for 2011 ARIA Hall of Famer

When it comes to Australian pop stars, Kylie Minogue is the one to beat. Despite claiming repeatedly that she'd always aspired the career of fellow ARIA Hall of Famer Olivia Newton-John, Kylie has far surpassed that of the Grease star.


She's a Grammy-winning singer, a Logie-winning actress and is the highest selling Australian artist ever. I daresay she's outsold her nearest Australian contemporaries like ONJKate Ceberano, Tina Arena, Marcia Hines, Deni Hines and Christine Anu combined.

Not only that, her success created an industry template -- her career path from soap star to pop star has been replicated (to lesser success) by the likes of Melissa Tkautz, Bec Cartwright, Tammin Sursok, Stephanie McIntosh, Holly Valance and even Kylie's own sister, Dannii.

Although I am a huge fan, I admit that her albums have gone downhill since Fever and she's released the same kind of dancepop album repeatedly since 2001.

Nonetheless, she is still Australia's most iconic and important pop star and a truly deserved entrant into the ARIA Hall of Fame.

TOP KYLIE SONGS:

5. Put Yourself in My Place (1994)
I love this much more than the highly overrated Confide in Me from the same album.

4. Word is Out (1991)
Before she released All I See in 2008, Kylie tried her hand at a ghetto sound with this hilariously enjoyable and largely forgotten R&B-fused single.

3. Love at First Sight (2002)
Pure pop bliss. A highlight classic of 2002.

2. I Should Be So Lucky (1988)

Bubblegum pop is what Kylie does best. I also wanted to put Better the Devil You Know, Hand on Your Heart and Locomotion in the number two slot, but this will do.

1. Spinning Around (1999)
"Traded in my sorrows for some joy that I borrowed
From back in the day.
Threw away my old clothes, got myself a better wardrobe
I got something to say
I'm through with the past, ain't no point in looking back
The future will be"

This is an anthem.



No comments:

Post a Comment