Saturday 13 August 2011

What's a "Real" Woman, Fashion Industry?

The Herald Sun ran another one of those "fashion week to include so-called real women onto the catwalk because we're so inclusive" articles today.


God, I am so sick of those! I'm not against the fashion industry including, in this case, pregnant woman on the runway, in fact I say kudos to Melbourne's Spring Fashion Week for doing that.

I just hate the fact that they call them "real" people. It's like what the fuck are models then? Robots?

I absolutely despise when people use expressions like "real women have curves", etc. No, that phrase is so misleading. People should say, "some women have curves. Some people are born without them. It doesn't matter either way."

By using the term "real", it in a way chastises skinnier people as  inherently fake and atypical. Is this really a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment