Wednesday 30 November 2011

It's time...for less saccharine ads

This video by GetUp Australia for gay marriage has been posted all over Facebook, Twitter, etc this week. While I wholly support the cause and think it's such a timely and positive approach, does anyone else think it's the most saccharine video ever?



All the comments on the video are the same -- "Oh, it made me cry!", "tears welled up", etc. My god, this video for me was so painfully sugary and corny I wanted to throw up.

Also, what's up with the lack of diversity? Two white gay guys? Okay... Let's face it, out of all the people in the LGBT community today, they probably have it the easiest. I may have missed the point entirely because that's not what this video is about - duh, Francis, it's about marriage discrimination - but I think this dialogue is important for future campaigns to come. I'm so over seeing pretty much a white gay male moan and whine about his "problems" on every gay-themed media from Queer as Folk to DNA Magazine. Or maybe it was the wrong day for me to watch this video. Oxford Street, gay media in Sydney and a sleazy taxi driver have truly bored me.

Hmmm, this is post is so bitter. Apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment